Position Title: Building Guard
Concentration: Law Enforcement
Level of Entry: Entry Level
Agency: Brown University
Address: 75 Charlesfield Street, PO Box 1842
State: RI Zipcode: 02912
Contact: Margaret Marisi
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Brown University’s Department of Public Safety is seeking candidates for a Building Guard position. Located in historic Providence, Rhode Island, the Brown University Department of Public Safety is a nationally accredited law enforcement department with over 93 highly trained members who are committed to serving and protecting a diverse campus community of over 12,000 members. Brown University is the seventh-oldest college in the United States. Brown is an independent, coeducational Ivy League institution comprising undergraduate and graduate programs, plus the Alpert Medical School, School of Public Health, School of Engineering, and the School of Professional Studies. With its talented and motivated student body and accomplished faculty, Brown is a leading research university that maintains a particular commitment to exceptional undergraduate instruction. Brown’s vibrant, diverse campus community consists of about 4,500 staff and faculty, 6,200 undergraduates, 2,000 graduate students, 490 medical school students, more than 5,000 summer, visiting, and online students, and over 700 faculty members. Brown students come from all 50 states and more than 115 countries. Brown is frequently recognized for its global reach, many cultural events, numerous campus groups and activities, active community service programs, highly competitive athletics, and beautiful facilities located in a richly historic urban setting.
Brown offers competitive benefits such as a generous retirement plan and education programs; details are available at: http://www.brown.edu/about/administration/human-resources/
The individual assigned to this duty must:
1) have comprehension and communication skills sufficient to allow them to read, understand, and consistently implement the policies relevant to this position.
2) exhibit a demeanor which is appropriate to the providing of services to the community.
3) be able to make written documentation as noted in the logging section above, and to write clear reports as dictated by circumstances which arise in the performance of said responsibilities.
4) be able to walk about the building on foot, climb stairs and physically check the doors and windows of buildings to ensure that they are secure.
5) be able to assist with rescue functions/emergencies or disaster within the building and be able to lift, drag, or carry people away from situations and secure and evacuate people from particular areas.
6) be at least 18 years of age and have a high school diploma/GED and be capable of communicating effectively and coherently over law enforcement radio channels while initiating and responding to radio communications.
7) not have any felony or serious misdemeanor convictions, and must pass a background investigation.
8) be able to wear the prescribed uniform during hours of work.
9) Must successfully complete a 12 month probationary period (6 months if promoted to position). An employee transferred or promoted from a part-time to a full-time position, or an employee transferred or promoted during the first twelve months of employment with the Department, shall serve a twelve (12) month probation in the new position.
This is a 75% time position, with hours 12:00-8:00 AM Sunday through Thursday evenings, September through May. Current pay rate is $14.31 hour. Application deadline is August 30, 2019.
All offers of employment are contingent upon a criminal background check satisfactory to Brown University.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
To Apply please visit
Application Period Begins: 08/02/2019
Application Period Ends: 08/30/2019
Number Positions to be Filled: 1
Yearly Salary: $0.00
(Some agencies may post only their standard hourly rate)
© 2017, BSL Systems Ltd Designed by BSL Systems Ltd