Persons interested in this position may download more information by CLICKING THIS LINK for an Adobe PDF version.
Position Title: Entry Level Police Officer
Concentration: Law Enforcement
Level of Entry: Entry Level
Agency: Warwick Police Department
Address: 99 Veterans Memorial Drive
State: RI Zipcode: 02886
Contact: Officer Jeremy Smith
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Effect an arrest, forcibly if necessary, using handcuffs and other restraints; subdue resisting suspects, using maneuvers and weapons and resort to the use of hands and feet and other approved weapons in self-defense.
2. Prepare investigative and other reports, including sketches, using appropriate grammar symbols, and mathematical computations.
3. Exercise independent judgement in determining when there is reasonable suspicion to detain, when probable cause exists to search and arrest and when force may be used and to what degree.
4. Operate a law enforcement vehicle during both the day and night; in emergency situations involving speeds in excess of posted limits, in congested traffic and in unsafe road conditions caused by factors such as fog, smoke, rain, ice and snow.
5. Communicate effectively and coherently over law enforcement radio channels while initiating and responding to radio communications and while operating a law enforcement vehicle.
6. Gather information in criminal investigations by interviewing and obtaining the statements of victims, witnesses, suspects and confidential informers.
7. Pursue fleeing suspects and perform rescue operations which may involve quickly entering and exiting law enforcement patrol vehicles; lifting, carrying, and dragging heavy objects; climbing over and pulling up oneself over obstacles; jumping over obstacles, ditches and streams, crawling in confined areas; balancing on uneven or narrow surfaces and using body force to gain entrance through barriers.
8. Load, unload, aim and fire and become proficient in a variety of police firearms under conditions of stress that justify the use of deadly force and within prescribed certification standards, which include but are not limited to, handguns, shotguns, and other shoulder fired weapons, fired from a variety of body positions.
9. Perform searches of people, vehicles, buildings and large outdoor areas which may involve feeling and detecting objects, walking for long periods of time, detaining people and stopping suspicious vehicles and persons.
10. Conduct visual and audio surveillance for extended periods.
11. To detect possible violations of physical security breaches of building after being alerted to same through reports of intrusion alarms, citizen complaints or officers observation and conducting overall physical security checks of the structure of said building to verify their integrity.
12. Effectively communicate with people, including juveniles, by giving information and directions, mediating disputes and advising of rights and processes.
13. Demonstrate communication skills in court and other formal settings.
14. Detect and collect evidence and substances that provide the basis of criminal offenses and infractions and that indicate the presence of dangerous conditions.
15. Endure verbal and mental abuse when confronted with the hostile views and opinions of suspects and other people encountered in an antagonistic environment.
16. Perform rescue functions at accidents, emergencies and disasters including but not limited to, directing traffic for long periods of time, administering emergency medical aid, lifting, dragging and carrying people away from dangerous situations and securing and evacuating people from particular areas.
17. Process and transport prisoners and committed mental patients using handcuffs and other appropriate restraints.
18. Extinguish small fires by using a fire extinguisher and other appropriate means.
19. Read and comprehend legal and non-legal documents, including the preparation and processing of such documents as citations, affidavits and warrants.
20. Operate law enforcement support equipment including, but not limited to, telephones, typewriters, computers, console radios, mobile radios, portable radios, audible warning systems, emergency lighting systems, cameras and mobile command unit.
1. U.S. Citizen
2. 21-35 years of age (may not have reached your 36th birthday by
January 31, 2021
3. Valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s License
4. High School Diploma or GED
5. Minimum 60 college credits, as of January 31, 2021 from an Accredited
Institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education OR
6. 2 years Full-Time Police, Law Enforcement or Corrections experience by January 31, 2021 OR
7. 3 years Active Military Duty as of January 31, 2021 OR
8. 5 years Military Reserve Service as of January 31, 2021
9. Good Moral Character
Application Period Begins: 09/28/2020
Application Period Ends: 10/31/2020
Number Positions to be Filled: 3
Yearly Salary: $46,268.56
(Some agencies may post only their standard hourly rate)
© 2017, BSL Systems Ltd Designed by BSL Systems Ltd