Persons interested in this position may download more information by CLICKING THIS LINK for an Adobe PDF version.
Position Title: Sheriff's Technician
Concentration: Law Enforcement
Level of Entry: Entry Level
Agency: Alameda County Sheriff's Office
Address: 1401 Lakeside Drive, 12th Floor
State: CA Zipcode: 94612
Email Address: email@example.com
ABOUT THE ALAMEDA COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE
The Alameda County Sheriff's Office is a full service law enforcement agency accredited through the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA) for its law enforcement services, its Regional Training Center, and its Dispatch Unit; the American Correctional Association (ACA) for its Detentions and Corrections Division; the American Society of Crime Laboratory Directors Laboratory Accreditation Board for its Crime Lab; the Bomb Squad Commanders Advisory Board for its Explosive Ordinance Unit. Additionally, the agency's health care provider, Wellpath, has experience working with the National Commission on Correctional Health Care (NCCHC).
The Sheriff's Office has a current budget of approximately $600 million and has over 1700 authorized positions, including in excess of 1000 sworn personnel. The agency's Chief Executive Officer is Sheriff / Coroner Yesenia L. Sanchez, who is assisted in the operation of the agency by Undersheriff Richard T. Lucia, Assistant Sheriffs Emmanuel Christy and Colby Staysa.
The Sheriff of Alameda County is responsible for a vast array of tasks and duties, including the following:
Providing security to the Consolidated Superior Courts
Operating the Coroner's Bureau
Operating a full-service criminalistics laboratory
Performing Civil Process
Operating a County Jail (Santa Rita)
Operating the County Office of Emergency Services
Providing patrol and investigative services to the unincorporated areas of Alameda County
Pursuant to contractual agreements, providing patrol and investigative services to the City of Dublin, Oakland International Airport, Highland County Hospital, Social Services, and to the Alameda-Contra Costa Transit District
Conducting a basic academy pursuant to Police Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.) requirements. [Sheriff's Academy website]
Providing Fish and Game enforcement
Project Director of the Narcotics Task Force
Serving as the Executive Director of the Sexual Assault Felony Enforcement (SAFE) Task Force
Operating a Marine Patrol Unit in the San Francisco Bay waters.
For more detailed information about the agency, visit: Alameda County's Sheriff's Office
Sheriff’s Technicians, under general supervision perform duties related to law enforcement functions that do not require the assignment of a Deputy Sheriff; and do related work as required. Sheriff’s Technicians are assigned throughout the Sheriff’s Office. Positions in this class are filled with unarmed, non-sworn employees who work rotating shifts, weekends, and holidays, within various divisions of the Sheriff's Office throughout the County. This class is distinguished from Deputy Sheriffs, who have peace officer responsibilities.
For more detailed information about the job classification, visit: Sheriff's Technician (#8755).
The equivalent of six months full-time experience in the classification of Sheriff’s Safety Aide in the Alameda County Classified service
The equivalent of one-year full-time experience in a clerical position (60 semester units from an accredited college or university may substitute for 6 months of the clerical experience).
The equivalent of two years honorable service in the United States Military
Must possess a valid California State Motor Vehicle Operator's License.
1. A thorough background investigation will be conducted of all prospective Sheriff's Technicians to ensure they are suitable for law enforcement related work.
2. Hearing must be normal in each ear.
3. Vision must be correctable to at least 20/20 in each eye, and free from color blindness and permanent abnormality in either eye.
4. Sheriff’s Technicians must be at least 18 years of age at the time of appointment.
5. Sheriff’s Technicians are assigned to workday, evening, night and rotating shifts, including weekends and holidays.
6. Sheriff’s Technicians are assigned positions throughout Alameda County and are subject to rotation of assignments.
7. Sheriff’s Technicians assigned to the Coroner’s Bureau must have the ability to assist in lifting dead bodies weighing a minimum of 160 pounds and to maneuver a gurney.
8. Sheriff’s Technicians assigned to certain work locations must successfully complete training relevant to that assignment.
9. Sheriff’s Technicians must attend and successfully complete the Sheriff’s Technician Training Academy.
NOTE: The Civil Service may modify the above Minimum Qualifications in the announcement of an examination.
Application Period Begins: 03/08/2023
Application Period Ends: 12/31/2024
Number Positions to be Filled: 100
Yearly Salary: $29.72 to $35.46
(Some agencies may post only their standard hourly rate)
© 2017, BSL Systems Ltd Designed by BSL Systems Ltd